Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Reality of Traveling

I just returned from a fabulous weekend in Alicante with a bunch of friends.  Alicante is a beautiful beach town south-east of Madrid, about a 5 hour bus ride and a 1 hour plane ride.  I took the bus with Miguel, Greg, and Lauren while the other 6 people took the plane, the better option.  We arrived around 3pm on Friday and checked into our hostel which turned out to be pretty nice!  For only 15 euros a night it was a good deal.  Shared bathrooms with everyone, a bucket for a sink, but overall clean and safe.  I really enjoyed myself.  The first night me, Olivia, Miguel, Greg, and Ian roamed the streets of Alicante and found a nice little hole in the wall bar with a super cool bartender.  We went to a couple other places and got Harry Potter-like beer hats and suspenders...random but awesome!  My hat (which I stole from Ian) is sitting on my bookshelf right now reminding me of my time in Alicante.  We lounged on the beach all day, traveled to another part called San Juan which was less crowded and dirty.  Me and the boys got a huge meal which was a good price for what we got, lots of seafood and a TON of rice.  We didn't get water because it would have been bottled and probably another 3 euros each.  We went to visit El Castillo where we were able to see the entire city of Alicante, much bigger than I expected!


The second night me and my friend Olivia particpated in our first every pub crawl, where you pay a flat rate and get into multiple bars and discotecas for free or half price.  Great deal.  We met a lot of interesting people, danced, had a jolly ol time.  I ended up running into a friend that I had tried to meet up with in Alicante but there was miscommunication but we ended up running into each other anyway...funny coincidence!






I just saw a mosquito in my room...speaking of I have gotten bitten about 6 times in the last few days.  No fun. 
This was the view from the balcony in the room of the hostel I stayed in.


Yep it was a fun weekend.  I ended up feeling really homesick on Sunday though when I came back home from the long bus ride.  I'm not sure why, but that was definitely the most homesick i've felt since i've been here.  I have really been missing the freedom to cook food and watch a movie whenever I please...but a homstay is what I chose and what I will deal with, it's really not that bad I guess.  I'm just being pesimistic, but I'm allowed to be!  I have been trying to plan my 10 day trip to Italy and it's been more stressful than I thought it would be, mostly because of money issues.  I under estimated the cost of traveling while in Europe, let alone just living in Spain for four months!  I need to narrow my list down of places I want to go to...it's just realistically not possible to do all this traveling on my budget, with school, and only four months.   I'm thinking the trips I MUST go on are
1.) Italy-Rome/Venice
2.) Sevilla/Cordoba
3.) Portugal

the maybe pile (excluding Barcelona and France because those are a for sure)
1.) Amsterdam
2.) Granada
3.) London
4.) Morocco

I need to figure it all out it is just so difficult with all these factors holding me back.  I just need to realize that I can't do everything at once. 

No comments:

Post a Comment